Put Tuesday 19 August 6-7pm in your diaries and stay tuned for updates on events, competitions and how your family, business, school or library can help celebrate the importance of reading again this year.
The Reading Hour initiative reminds parents and caregivers that reading together doesn’t have to be a massive undertaking in their busy lives, and that sharing a book with a child for 10 minutes a day - or just over an hour a week - will still give that child the best chance of becoming a good reader later in life, along with all the social and educational benefits it brings.
How do I join in?
Register your library, business, school, pre-school or community centre by signing up online, and get started by downloading The Reading Hour promotional items from the website:
- Download your DIY promo kit – Inspire your community with engaging promotional display material – available now on the website for your convenience
- Celebrate The Reading Hour, Tuesday 19 August, 6–7pm – host an event, throw a party, read a story with your kids, and join us in celebrating this important national event!
- Spead the word in your community!
- Borrow a book or download an eBook from your local library
- Stay tuned for what's happening at Newcastle Region Library